Thursday, January 15, 2009
Stress Management Symptoms Causes Signs Types & Treatment
How To Cope With STRESS?
Stress is the physical or mental demand upon a person that exceeds the capacity of the body. It means stress the pressure on the person that makes the person loose his balance. During stress -heart beat increases, palpitations increase, the person starts breathing heavily, or one can have butterflies in his or her stomach, the person starts blushing, sometimes, the person also stammers while speaking. Stress is the part of life. Basically, it is of two kinds:- Eustress and Distress. Eustress is the stress or tension which comes into the events or incidents of happiness like marriage, birth of a child, getting a new job etc. Distress is the stress or tension which comes due to the effect of unpleasant events like loosing a job, or death in a family or getting divorced etc.
1. The first thing is to realize that you are under distress. You should be able to catch the symptoms like having excessive fatigue, increased palpitations, facing sleep problems, inability to relax and so on.
2. The next thing is to find out the sources how to relieve it. Find out somebody with whom you can talk out your stress. Talk out with the significant others and have their support. This is the kind of social support you are gaining and thereby reducing your stress. Also, you can take their suggestions or physical help if you require it.
3. The next thing is to do some physical exercises, like going to gym, run or exercise or practice swimming, jogging etc.
4. Sit and relax. Listen to your favorite music, , take out time for yourself and most importantly listen to your body.
5. Indulge in pleasurable activities, which you enjoy to do e.g.: go for riding, go for outings, go for movies.
6. Spend time with your family. That is another way of reducing stress.
7. Do not carry the burden of your work to home. Do not convert your home into office.
8. Be calm and maintain your cool. If your heart has started beating faster, take your time and relax. Practice any of the techniques of relaxation twice daily.
9. Give yourself positive self statements e.g.: “I will be able to make it, I can do this"
10. Have proper sleep and practice methods of sleep hygiene.
11. Finally, a little stress is a booster but excessive stress is unhygienic so recognize that unhealthy part and remove it from your life. Crack jokes, spend some time leisurely and enjoy your life as much as possible.
Dr Smita Pandey Bhat is a Counselor and Clinical Psychologist. She has completed her M.Phil and PhD in Clinical Psychology, from Central Institute of Psychiatry (C.I.P), Ranchi. She has seven years of experience in this field at different places. She provides psychological counseling, psychotherapies like, Supportive Therapy, Cognitive Behavior Therapy, Interpersonal Therapy, Social Skills Training, Assertiveness Training etc. as per the requirement of the people. She also provides assessments like Intelligence Tests and Personality Assessments for Children as well as Adults.
The areas of problems that require her services is ranging from mild emotional problems to severe mental problems. She provides counseling to children for the problems like, lying, stealing, truancy, identity problems, low self esteem or self confidence, poor performance in school, learning disabilities, autism, attention deficit and hyperactivity problems, emotional outbursts, anger outbursts, crying spells, sadness and depression, problems regarding the choice of career, problems in sleeping etc. She also provides counseling to parents called as Parental Management Training and counsel them for good parenting strategies.
For Adults she provide services for work related stress, stress within the family, tension, anxiety, depression, low self esteem or self confidence, problems in dealing with stress or coping or making adjustments, problems in married life( marital problems), problems related with sleep, boredom and stress burnouts. She also provides management for obsessive and compulsive behaviors. She teaches them techniques so that they are able to cope better in their lives and have a good quality of life.
She also provides cognitive rehabilitation to the patients of chronic schizophrenia , dementia and brain injury patients helping them to learn self help skills and help them refine their cognitive abilities like attention , memory, organization and planning etc. through cognitive retraining and other behavioral techniques.
Dr. Smita Pandey Bhat has given lectures on clinical psychology for nursing students and staff, as well as M.Phil students. She is a clinical psychologist of repute and has made appearances on several live television shows and appeared as Celebrity Guest on indiatimes.com
Dr. Smita Pandey Bhat
Delhi NCR, Gurgaon - INDIA
Email : email@example.com
Url : http://consultancyindia.blogspot.com